Get your business in online business directories. It helps to increase brand exposure and build brand awareness in the online world. Getting your business listed in online business directories is not an arduous task. All you need is a good list of business directories that you can use and you’re all set to go!
1. What is an Online Business Directory?
An online business directory is a website that lists businesses or companies and categorises them according to business activities or genres. A typical business listing on the online business directory would contain information like the business name, address, contact number, email address, website address and a short writeup on the company. Users of online business directories have different intents. Consumers may use the directory to find businesses and businesses may utilise it to find other businesses.
A local business directory is confined by geographical locations. Simply put forth, a Singapore business directory only retains listings of businesses or companies that reside in Singapore.
2. Benefits for Listing Your Small Business in Local Directories
Getting your small business listed in local directories helps build referral traffic to your website and retail premise even if you are running a ‘brick and mortar’ business. The increased traffic will benefit your business in several ways:
- It builds your vendor or supplier list. People who wants to sell you their products or services will connect with you if your business is in the local directory. Try out new vendors! For all you know, new vendors can make your business more competitive by offering you better prices or superior products and services.
- It helps your business with employment matters. People who seeks employment will contact you if they find you in the business directory. Even if you are not employing workers now, you can build a substantial database on the candidates and call upon them when you are ready to hire them.
- It boost sales for your business. People who wants to buy your products or services will reach you if they find your business in the directory. Your presence in a local business directory simply means an increase in chance of making an impression on the audience. Some business directories have advertising or marketing plans which are available for purchase. Advertising on local business directories increase your prominence on the platform.
3. Top 20 Business Directories in Singapore
Here are the best local business directories in Singapore. The list below is ranked with the top entry providing the best consumer experience to people who make searches and navigate within the directory itself. We believe that good consumer experience is critical in providing conversions and referral traffic to your website.
|Yellow Pages Singapore||Free||Nil||6||125557||60|
|Marshall Cavendish Business Information||Free||follow||4||981908||38|
|The Green Book||Free||nofollow||5||122265||48|
|Singapore Companies Directory||Free||follow||0||625107||23|
|Singapore Business Federation||S$535/yr||follow||6||450002||56|
|SME Toolkit Singapore||Free||follow||5||40469||58|
1 A backlink is an incoming link to a website or webpage. A follow link passes Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) link juice from the origin page and boost the PageRank of the destination page which helps the website or webpage’s ranking in search engine results.
2 PageRank is an algorithm used by Google Search to rank website or webpages in their search engine results. The PageRank runs from 0, the worst, to 10, the best.
3 Alexa Rank is an algorithm used by Alexa to rank sites based primarily on tracking a sample set of internet traffic. The lower the number, the higher the traffic.
4 Domain Authority is a score (on a 100-point scale) developed by Moz that predicts how well a website will rank on search engines.
4. Drawbacks for Obsession in Creating Business Listings in Directories
While there are many benefits that comes from local business directory listings, an obsession in it may cause more harm than good. Never take it as the sole backlinking or communication strategy for your business. You may want to consider the following points and decide appropriately how much you’d want to invest your resources in it.
- Directories do not hold as much authority as they did in the past. It means it no longer gives you as much SEO benefits as they used to. Getting your business listed in local directories should only form a small part of your backlinking or communication strategy.
- There is competition even if you’ve managed to get your company listed in the directory. To cut through the competition, you may have to spend marketing or advertising dollars on the business directory.
- Most consumers prefer to use search engines to find a local business. If you get your business in local directories hoping that you will get enormous influx of prospects, think again. Business listings in directories usually draws more people who seek to work for and work with you.
Now that you’ve read an objective article on local business directories and whatnot, decide for yourself how much you’re going to invest in it!